12/03/2012 02:30:00 AM

Dinosaur Jr. You're Living Alll Over Me

12/1/2012 marked the 25th anniversary of the indie classic "You're Living All Over Me". It's truly THE book on which countless bands drew inspiration from...





3rd time seeing Dinosaur Jr. and it was easily the best which is unbelievable because the other two times were amazing as well. Once you see who all the special guests are though, its inevitable to throw your lot in for this particular live.

Terminal 5 (the venue) was really nice, it had 3 floors!!!! The bathrooms were really clean too wow. Staff manpower was also really good, got ticketed and body searched in less than 10 minutes. I missed most of the opening band (Kurt Vile)

 
because I got a little lost going on a pizza joint hunt (Patsy's in Harlem), I'm gonna have to break some boners and stawmp some vages here, NY pizza has NOTHING on Chicago pizza. No sauce, no flour, no cheese, replace that all with grease. The taste was decent though, but given the choice fuck NY pizza. Shots have been fired motherfuckers.

Anyways the worst part about a live besides it ending, is waiting for headliner to start playing. Even though it was maybe a 45 minute wait, waiting always feels a lot longer because of increasing anticipation and snowballing impatience. I got really confused when there a flutist doing sound check... little that I knew THEY OPENED THE SET WITH FUCKING THUMB. And I didn't recognize she was from Mercury Rev (see setlist below for all details).
This was the point where I told myself fuck it, not gonna wear my earplugs 凸= .=. I'm really glad, cause this was the first time I heard it live and I remember Lou saying at the first show I saw that he didn't know the song since he left before that Green Mind. Thanks Lou for learning ALL of the newer stuff!

And then we dove straight into YLOAM. I think I almost shit my pants like 10 times that night, the first with thumb and then Lee Ronaldo from Sonic Youth strolls onto the stage.

You hear the wah turn on and the drums start off Little Fury Things. This was the point when moshing and crowd surfing started haha. There was also some serious blazing going on =.=||, it kinda felt like I was at a dirty music festival. I was glad to hear Sludgefeast again, The Lung, Tarpit, In a Jar, and POLEDO. I already saw Lou do Poledo on a ukelele at his Sebadoh show and I'm really glad it was this version of it despite Lou joking about not playing the last 2 awkward songs on the album.

The first set had come to an end when.... MOTHER FUCKING FRANK BLANK FROM THE  PIXIES CAME ON MY FACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I never thought I would have the chance to see a Pixies member play live. Honestly I think Tame was the hypest part of the show, it was really fun to sing along and scream too. Another highlight was Alone, it sooooooo heavy and had so much guitar wanking on it. I thought it was a cover, but apparently there is a Dino album I haven't listened to yet :( Johnny Marr came on for a couple song (I'm not real familiar sadly)

followed by Dale Crover from Nirvana/Melvins for A DEEP WOUND SONG.

I think Dino played this the second time I saw it too, not sure. And last but not least KIM GORDON came on to close the 2nd set with a great performance of Don't. She is probably the 2nd hottest milf after Shiina Ringo (actually probably old enough to be a gilf lol) I think I read that she and Thurston divorced so it was kinda sadistic that she did that song <.<



So this night that featured ear bleeding volume, grass smokers, moshpits, crowd surfing (omg there were like 30 instances), people making out!????, bouncers doing their thing with a couple assholes, an amazing sequence of special guest appearances, and a classic album performed through. 3 dudes in the 40s and a bunch of special guests between 30s and 50s ruled the night. My ears are shot (I think this is the worst case ever, at times it felt like the ringing was FEEDING BACK and making weird ass modulation sounds), my body is broken, but my life force is revived and sustained. Thank you punk rock may you save us all.



    1.  Thumb
      ( with Suzanne Thorpe of Mercury Rev) 

      'You're Living All Over Me' in its entirety

    2. Little Fury Things
      (with Lee Ranaldo)
    3. Kracked
    4. Sludgefeast
    5. The Lung
    6. Raisans
    7. Tarpit
    8. In a Jar
    9. Lose
    10. Poledo
        

      Special Guest Career-Spanning Set

    11. Almost Fare
      (with Frank Black)
    12. Tame
      (Pixies cover) (with Frank Black)
    13. Alone
      (with Kurt Vile)
    14. Don't Pretend You Didn't Know
    15. Watch the Corners
    16. The Wagon
      (with Kevin Drew)
    17. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
      (The Smiths cover) (with Johnny Marr)
    18. Training Ground
      (Deep Wound cover) (with Dale Crover)
    19. Gargoyle
    20. Crucified
      (Iron Cross cover) (with Don Fleming)
    21. Don't
      (with Kim Gordon)
        

      Encore:

    22. T.V. Eye
      (The Stooges cover) (with Tommy Stinson) (Fred Armisen also played … more)
    23. Start Choppin
    24. Freak Scene

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave yo message after the beep, 留一下