10/27/2012 11:43:00 PM

Virgin Music Free Festival + MOFUCKIN DINOSAUR JR

Greaaaaaattt month for shows






I realized most people that go to music festivals don't give a flying fuck about the actual music, rather it's just another opportunity to party hard. That's really my only gripe about the Virgin Music Free Festival aside from the fact that Columbia MD is a bitch to find cars....


The first time I listened to "Emergency and I" was a few years ago, and I didn't like it one bit. Years later I got to see Dismemberment Plan live and it was probably my favorite band of the day



The day closed with ZZ Top and Jack White and Harem.



For a festival that I only recognized 3 bands for, it was pretty enjoyable. The nasty stench of weed/alcohol/dirty hipsters was pretty awful but thankfully there was enough fresh air.



BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dinosaur jr is amazing live. Shearwater from Austin opened and was a strange mix of slow brooding codeine and british rawk.



OK so black cat is a relatively small venue. I got there around 8 and there was a decent sized line of people waiting to get in, greaaaaat sign. But when I saw 2 Marshall Heads, a Hiwatt head, and THREE FUCKIN FULL STACKS I knew "CRANK DAT SHIT UP" was gonna be in full effect. Thankfully, I brought ear plugs. The first time I saw Dinosaur Jr. was just a few blocks down at 9:30 where they played Bug in its entirety and then Sludgefest (at my request motherfuckers) and In a Jar. The setlist for this show was hugeeeeeee, they played songs from almost every album and they were played LOUD AND FAST. I listened to Feel the Pain without earplugs and at certain points throughout the show, and am convinced THAT SHIT IS LOUD, even clean tone had white noise going on (not feedback btw). For some reason I think the setlist a few songs short, I remember an especially extended high after the Deep Wound song 囧.

    1. See It on Your Side
    2. Budge
    3. Rude
    4. Almost Fare
    5. Start Choppin
    6. Don't Pretend You Didn't Know
    7. Watch the Corners
    8. Feel the Pain
    9. What Was That
    10. In a Jar
    11. Training Ground
      (Deep Wound cover)
    12. Freak Scene
    13. Wagon
    14. Forget the Swan
      Encore:
    15. Out There
    16. Just Like Heaven
      (The Cure cover)


Feel the Pain was amaaaaaazing live. I was kinda surprised there was so much capo being used. The new songs sounded great, Ill have to cheggout the new stuff soon. The crowd was lame up until they played a Deep Wound song, in which all the moshers came together and fuckin pheonix downed the show. After that it was nonstop fun, my body is still sore, especially my neck.





When you think about the lineup, its absolutely broken. What a great show, I grabbed some dino swag (pun intended) and ran to catch the last train home. I'll have to admit, I have a new favorite DC show, this one edges out Mission of Burma (9.5 \m/ out of 10) I WILL ONLY SAY THAT I AM VERY SAD J DIDNT PLAY HIS SQUIER JAZZMASTER. HE TROLLED ME SUPER HARD, IT WAS BROUGHT OUT BY THE ROADIE AND JUST LEANED AGAINST THE WALL OF CABINETS THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME. I REALLY WANTED TO HEAR IT MAN DIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave yo message after the beep, 留一下